n/a n/a (Primary hepatocytes (liver cells))
This protocol is adapted from current protocols in toxicology and is for the cryopreservation of primary hepatocytes from any laboratory animal. It is not species-specific and may therefore require optimization for best results.
• Isolated hepatocytes
• Fetal bovine serum (FBS), heat-inactivated
• Dimethyl sulfoxide (DMSO)
• Hepatocyte storage vials (must withstand −196°C)
• Microprocessor-controlled programmable freezing chamber (e.g., model 1010; Forma Scientific) with thermometer
• Liquid nitrogen storage unit
1. Centrifuge isolated hepatocytes 3 (±1) min at 40 to 60 × g, room temperature.
2. Discard supernatant fraction by aspiration with a vacuum aspirator.
3. Add a sufficient volume of FBS to bring concentration to 11 × 106 viable cells/ml and gently resuspend cell pellet.
4. Slowly add DMSO dropwise to a final concentration of 10% (v/v) and mix cell suspension by gentle inversion.
5. Divide the homogenous mixture into aliquots in hepatocyte storage vials.
6. Cryopreserve hepatocytes in a microprocessor-controlled programmable freezing chamber according to the following stepwise freezing program. Use a temperature probe to measure the temperature of a sample containing only FBS and 10% (v/v) DMSO.
6a. Cool −1°C/min until sample reaches −4°C
6b. Cool −25°C/min until chamber reaches −25°C (sample temperature should be approximately −8° to −10°C)
6c. Warm 15°C/min until chamber reaches −12°C
6d. Cool −1°C/min until chamber reaches −40°C
6e. Cool −10°C/min until chamber reaches −90°C
6f. Hold −90°C until sample reaches −90°C.
7. Transfer vials to a liquid nitrogen storage unit.
1. Remove one or more vials of cryopreserved hepatocytes from the liquid nitrogen storage unit.
2. Place in a 37°C shaking water bath until sample is partially thawed and can be poured from the vial.
3. Gently pour thawed hepatocytes into a sterile 50-ml centrifuge tube containing 28.2 ml DMEM+ and 11.8 ml of 90% isotonic Percoll.
4. Add DMEM+ to obtain a final concentration of 21.5% (v/v) Percoll.
5. Centrifuge hepatocytes 5 (±1) min at room temperature at 60 x g.
Mudra, D. R. and Parkinson, A. 2001. Preparation of Hepatocytes. Current Protocols in Toxicology. 8:14.2.1–14.2.13.
Added by: Carlton Hoyt on July 25, 2012
Please help improve Cryosearch!
No one has given their opinion on this protocol yet. If you have used this protocol in a lab, please mark whether or not it worked for you. If you had any difficulties, please discuss in the comments.